Goal – Increasing the Productivity of the Manufacturing Processes:
The multinational company ITW among other things, deals with plastic molding and subsequent assembly of plastic components for the automotive industry. The production plant in Velka Bites is in the automotive industry for 20 years. One of the ITW Pronovia Divisions in Velka Bites is focused on the production of thermoregulatory modules for renowned world automakers.
A competitive environment requires productivity gains and a reduction in the „wasting“ factor thus the difference between the planned and the actual execution time.
This factor is also reflected in the following areas:
- Tooling Changes – SMED (for injection machines)
- Fulfillment of Standard Performance
- Flow of Materials to Production Lines
The pressing shop and assembly lines had separate production plans. Semi-finished products were stored in a semi-finished warehouse before the final assembly. There was no transparent link to the implementation of the overall production plan.
Communication between Teams:
The plant is divided into three production lines with autonomous planning. Their mutual communication in planning logistics flows has been challenging and not always transparent. Unexpected changes in the plans caused logistics handlers organizational and capacity problems.
Due to inappropriate communication, the production problems were often „lost“ and not addressed until they significantly impeded the process.
The Layout of Workplaces, Work Force
The operators were assembling parts, but also supplying their assembly lines with the material and preparing the final package. The concept of these assembly lines was established so that between each station buffer stocks were required. Thus, handling, marking and packaging were an integral part of the production cycles during the final assembly of the parts.
The solution was to streamline the operation of the production lines, improve their interconnection and improve mutual logistic flows.
- Measuring system (exact measurement of the initial and target state)
- Introduction of the SMED method
- Changes in the organization of production and Setter teams
- New tool storage system
- Regular maintenance of tools (increasing their service life)
- Measurement of outputs of individual lines, motivation program for assembly workers
- Daily reporting and evaluation of OEE for the assembly lines and injection molding
- Creating autonomous teams capable of solving problems independently
- Establishing new and more appropriate KPI`s
- Change of mindset and improving the organization of the production plan
- Assembly lines layout improvement
- Logistics of production lines and increased in-line productivity
- Visualization of the production plan
- Communication of the groups in production
„The steps taken under Mr. Křivánek’s leadership opened our eyes in less than two years and showed us what direction to take. Process blindness, which was one of the factors of inefficiency, is now known to us. „Pavel Štastný – Production Manager
Semi-finished Logistics: (WIP)
The pressing shop and assembly lines are now interconnected by industrial conveyors. Strategic stocks do not arise in semi-finished products, but in finished products. In other words, we eliminated work in process (WIP)
- Reduced handling of parts
- Saving of storage space
- Increased inventory turnover
- Reduced errors (errors are reflected immediately when assembling)
- Safety stock of finished products
Communication Among Teams:
The production plan is visibly displayed for all employees. Changes in production and scheduled maintenance are communicated at daily production meetings. Employees can thus intervene in capacity planning, repairs and regular maintenance.
- All employees have an overview of the production plan
- Adjusting capacities according to the real possibilities of production lines
- Easier planning of maintenance and repairs
Layout of Workplaces, Work Force:
The operator is only concentrating on production activity. Logistics runs at break times. Maximum operator time has been used.
Increased performance for the shift
The results in figures:
Exceeding the sales plan by £2.3m
Reduction in the number of workers by 2%
Increasing shift performance by 3%
Saving storage space by 15%
Additional expansion of production areas by + 30m2
Reduction of material proportion (reduction of errors and plastic waste)
Improvement of the variable margin by 0.13%
Improved net profit by 0.5%